January 18, 2024

My Next Big Bone to Gnaw on

 Ever since 2016, I have been crafting and honing my investment strategy. During this time, I have come across a handful of stocks and sectors that have consistently outperformed and provided my clients with above average returns. There's a used bookstore in town that my family frequents. It's called McKay's and it's simply magical. Amongst many of the gems I've found there, a book by Henri Arslanian titled Entrepreneurship in Finance - Successfully Launching and Managing a Hedge Fund in Asia made it's presence known to me. Other awesome finds include a signed copy of Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willinck and Leif Babin and a book called My Electrician Drives a Porsche? 

In his book Henri lays out in great detail the process to start a hedge fund, utilizing offshore accounts, as well as the many variables in Fund structuring, management, and tax implications. It's going to be a long journey, I won't be able to launch overnight, but while I organically grow Caelian Capital while also serving families as an Electrician, I think there's a giant opportunity.


Part of being a successful investor and investment advisor is successfully predicting the future based on the extrapolations of information we have. While the AI gold rush may be happening, we have to accept that, just like in the Industrial revolution, new jobs were created as old ones were replaced by automation. For me, this means nothing new. Helping others and serving is built into me. I'm not sure how people overall feel, I have friends who are excited at the opportunity AI may provide and others who are job scared - their career is actively being replaced with AI. For me though, it means the opportunity to continue expanding my skillset. Learning to do the things that robots can't do, but we need done. At the same time, financial advisors are being replaced by robo advisors and now AI can give any DIY investor a solid strategy to set it and forget it. from my perspective, this has always been the modus operandi of the industry, AI or not. Humans tend to laziness, so the bigger a firm gets, the more it creates Blanket Recommendations that cover most people. Most people are mostly the same. Of course that never sat well with me, I think there are more intentional strategies and trading that can be done. It's important to be directionally correct so that we can focus on other facets of life during our investment journey, but it helps having someone who can place the trades, for everyone at the same time, especially if the market (made of humans) is being emotional. AI may never be able to fully grasp human emotion. That is our edge and always will be. 

An evolved future landscape of careers and job opportunities to me looks like more and more people utilizing AI to reduce the time they currently work in order to free up time to perform other requests demanded by the open market. Those that seek to help supply theses demands will be able to leverage not only the evolving landscape of AI but also the Supply/Demand curve. Long gone are the days where people are defined by one career or job. With visionaries like Elon and others who own and direct multiple companies are setting the example to those of us who would see humanity drive forward into the future. If you're worried or anxious of what AI will do to your career choice, analyze the market and do the things that need doing to support civilization. Be necessary. If that means leveraging AI to replace the work you currently do so you can free up time to learn something else, like a trade, start. One day, a robot will show up to your house to fix your plumbing or install that EV Charger, heck, one day we may all have robot in the closet next to the broom and vacuum cleaner, but until then let's get to work building a better future of service, kindness, and more







No comments: